Portrait of Roxy Balboa

Originally uploaded by Plinio M Pinto

This is the finished painting of Roxy Balboa. As I wrote before, she is a Muay Thai US Women's Lightweight Champion 2008 & 2009 and personal trainer based in LA. I actually never met her personally, only through the internet, but she was nice enough to let me use this painting for an upcoming artshow in October here in Orlando. After going over some personal photos with Roxy, we decided this pose worked the best, and that we needed to incorporate her signature skirt and the black and red wraps on her hands - the way she usually wraps for training. The process was a lot like working with an art director when I do editorial work, minus the back and forth sketches - which is great. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go to CA to meet her and take the reference photos myself. Maybe next time.

Here's the step-by-step

No comments: